Cheats Chocolate Macaroons
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 medium egg whites
- 100g milk chocolate
- 4 tsp of skimmed milk (a little warmed)
- 2 large bowls (preferably glass) + 1 small
- baking tray
- piping bag with plain nozzle
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas mark 4
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Sift the icing sugar and cocoa into bowl and then mix in the almonds.
- Now separating the eggs. The best way to do this is to actually get three bowls rather than two. One to put you egg whites in, one to put your yolks in and one for cracking the eggs over. This last bowl ensures that if you do get a bit of yolk in the bowl, you won’t ruin the white already in there.
- Place the egg white in a very clean mixing bowl and whisk to form stiff peaks. The way of knowing if they are ready is that if you turn them up over your head you won’t be covered in an eggy mess!
- Then gently fold in the egg whites to the dry ingredients.
- When all mixed together place the mixture in a piping bag and pipe 24 evenly sized discs. Remember to leave a little space between each one, as they will expand.
- Wet your finger slightly and smooth over each disc. Then leave to rest for about 15 minutes as this will help them to create a skin and crack less. Although as these aren’t the proper way of making macaroons (which is far too pain staking I find) they always crack slightly!
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the macaroons are firm to touch and easily peel off the paper. Leave to cool.
- Whilst they are cooling melt the chocolate in a bain marie (a glass bowl over a saucepan of water)
- Mix in the milk to the chocolate and it will thicken slightly and go glossy. Place a blob between two macaroons sandwiching them together and voila!