Poached Egg and Basil Avocado Pitta
This is a great and filling brunch/lunch idea. Its also a bit more interesting than just giving someone a poached egg, delicious though they are. Obviously you don’t have to use a pitta bread, this would also work wonderfully on a nice crusty slice of toasted sourdough.
I don’t know about you, but I find poaching an egg a lot more complicated than it should be, I’ve tried various methods, but this cheats version works best for me!
So here is my step by step guide
- Line a mug with 2 layers of cling film and crack your egg into the middle.
- Bunch it all together making sure there are no air bubbles and that the egg is fully enclosed.
- Place in boiling water and cook for 4 and a half minutes. Leave it to cool for about 30 seconds before you start to gently peel away the cling film.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 avocado
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- lemon juice to taste
- salt and pepper
- wholemeal pitta
- chopping board and sharp knife
- Poach the egg in boiling water.
- In the meantime pit and skin the avocado, mash it up with a fork, season with salt, pepper, lemon and basil.
- Toast the pitta then, place the avocado mush on top.
- The egg should be ready by this point, place it on top, and voilà!