Healthy Sausages, Beans and Garlic Mushrooms
- 6 fat reduced sausages – a lot of sausages are cheaper as they have added bread, water and so forth, which makes them much worse for you, so just try and get the best ones you can.
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin of red/white kidney beans
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ a red onion, finely diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of muscavado sugar
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 8-10 chesnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsps of coconut oil
saucepan and wooden spoon
chopping board and sharp knife
- Preheat your oven to 190 conventional/180 fan/ gas mark 5.
- Once hot, place your sausages on the roasting tray and cook for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime sweat your onions and 3 of the garlic cloves in the saucepan for a couple of minutes, in 1 tsp of the coconut oil.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, balsamic, bay leaves and crumble in the stock cube. Let this simmer for about 10-15 minutes so that the mixture can reduce slightly and the flavours can develop.
- Whilst this is simmering, fry the rest of your garlic and mushrooms on a medium heat with the other half of the coconut oil.
- Just before the tomatoes are ready add the kidney beans to heat them through. If you put them in too early they can start to do quite mushy.
- Once the sausages are ready you are ready to serve! I usually have mine with some sweet potato wedges and greens.