Continuing on from the meat-free Monday theme, why not give this a go? Lentils are a great source of protein (around 26%), soluble fibre which lowers your cholesterol and is therefore good for your heart, good for your digestion, increases your energy levels as they have complex carbohydrates in them which mean they release energy slowly and finally if you needed another reason to eat them they are low in calories!
- 125g red lentils
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp chopped chilli
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger
- 1 tbsp of curry powder
- 700 ml of water
- 1/2 a medium head of caulifower cut into little florets
- fresh coriander to serve
- Chopping board and sharp knife
- saucepan and wooden spoon
- Heat the oil on a medium heat and sweat the onions for a couple of minutes then add the ginger and chilli and cook for a further couple of minutes, finally adding the curry powder for and cooking for another minute. Cooking the curry powder – as with all spices, helps to realise the flavours more.
- Add the lentils and water and cook for about 30 minutes. Keep an eye on the water level though as if the heat is too high, the water will evaporate the water too quickly and the lentils won’t be cooked enough.
- Add in your cauliflower florets and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh coriander and voila!